From time immemorial, music has been an integral part of all our lives. Be it a happy occasion like a wedding or a sad one like a martyr’s death, expressing your feelings through the happy or soulful melody of a song is a tradition that is age-old and continues to persist even today, in a better form that is. With the change in the lifestyle of the people, the different genres and styles of music have also undergone a drastic change. The music that was once a pure expression of the soul, often produced with the use of simple and crude instruments, has now transformed into a full form of performing art, which with the aid of other avenues like dance and drama is a lifestyle statement today.
Musicals are one of the most popular ways of entertaining oneself today and also a great marriage between the various allied art forms such as drama, dance, music, art, direction and the more commercial ones such as production, marketing etc. There are so many different types of musicals or music dance-dramas that a seeker would ideally be lost amidst the huge selection! Of these several types, Rock Musicals are highly popular among both the young and the old alike and have a very ardent fan following. Some of the most famous and coveted rock musicals of all times are discussed as under.
1. This is Spinal Tap: it is univocally, one of the most popular rock musicals ever made and was first staged on March 2 1984. Directed by Rob Reiner, the musical has a star studded actor line-up including famous names such as Michele McKean, Harry Shearer, Christopher Guest etc. the Musical is based on the iconic British hard rock and metal band, the Spinal Tap. The course of the lives of the individual band members and the way they form the band and their musical conquests are portrayed in the musical in a humorous manner and hence, falls in the category, Mockumentary.
2. The Blues Brothers: the musical was directed by John Landis and was forst played on the 20th of June 1980. A star cast that flaunts names such as John Belushi, Ray Cahrles, John Candy, Carry Fisher and Dan Aykroyd, the Blues Brothers is definitely one of the most liked of all musicals of the era.
3. A Hard Day’s Night: a Beetles lover could never abstain from this classic rock musical that stars Paul McCartney, John Lennon, Wilfrid Brambell, Bridget Armstrong and Deryck Guyler and directed by Richard Lester. Based on the British band the Beetles, A Hard Day’s Night was first released on the 1st of January, 1964 and is categorized as a Comedy, an Ensemble film etc.
4. Hedwig and the Angry Inch: it is one of the more recent rock musicals that throw the limelight on homosexual characters in the society. It was released on 27 July 2001 and was directed by John Cameron Mitchell.
5. The Commitments: released on the 28th of August 1991, this Alan Parker directed musical is highly appreciated for its quality and artistic superiority. It stars Robert Arkins, Angelina Ball, Andrew Strong etc.